The 55th Podolsk Regiment is a part of Pridnestrovian history. Honoring this military unit with the participation of the first persons of the state was resumed in 2017. The initiator was the President of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic Vadim Krasnoselsky. A regimental holiday has been celebrated in Bendery since then, on August 29. This is not the day the regiment was formed, but the date when the patron saint image is honored. Camping for the 55th Podolsk Regiment was the Church of the Image of the Savior Not Made by Hands. Her temple feast is celebrated at the end of August – this is the time of transferring the icon with the face of the Image of Christ the Savior Not Made by Hands from the Syrian city of Edessa to the then Orthodox Constantinople. As for the creation of the regiment, its history dates back to January 5, 1798. A garrison regiment that received the name Rochensalmsky was formed then. The Podolsk regiment was created on its basis, on January 17, 1811 during the reorganization of the Russian army. The name was given probably due to the fact that most often he lodged near or directly in the Podolsk province, and the "55th" - according to the number in the register of regiments. Podillians are honored in Bendery because the regiment was stationed in this city three times in its history. The 55th Podolsk Infantry Regiment for more than a hundred years of existence has gone through more than one war, participated in historical military campaigns, the most striking, fateful, decisive battles. Many units of the Russian army were equipped with its parts at various times. The descendants of the Podillians are the current peacekeepers.
Commemorative and solemn events in honor of the Podolsk Regiment are traditionally held on the territory of the Bendery Military Historical Memorial Complex, which was created not as a burial place for soldiers and officers of the Russian Imperial Army, including the Podolsk Regiment. Among the numerous participants in the celebration were the PMR President Vadim Krasnoselsky and his wife.
Archbishop Sawa of Tiraspol and Dubossary held a prayer service in memory of the soldiers who fell defending the Pridnestrovian land. He served at the temple, built in 2008. The chapel was originally built. The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church granted it the status of a church in 2010. It bears the name of the Image of Jesus Christ Not Made by Hands, as it used to be the regimental church of the 55th Podolsk regiment. There are granite slabs with information about his battle path on the temple walls. The milestones in the history of the regiment were also reminded during the official part of the event.
The PMR President Vadim Krasnoselsky in his speech spoke about why it is so important to remember the past and honor the heroes of our Fatherland.
The participants of the regimental celebration at the end of the traditional rally laid flowers at the Orthodox cross, installed in the center of the Military Historical Memorial Complex. A scattering of flowers revived the pedestals of the Cossack Cross, as well as the monument to the defenders of Pridnestrovie and civilians who died during the Moldovan aggression unleashed in 1992 against the people of Pridnestrovie.
Solemn events near the monument of Russian military glory continued. At the monument, on the top of which a bronze eagle with its wings wide open, symbolizing the valor, strength and heroism of Russian soldiers, froze, they served a liturgy for the defenders of the Fatherland who died at different times, laid flowers at the monument, created in 1912 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Patriotic War. An important historical fact: the obelisk, originally erected on the territory of the Bendery fortress, was created at the expense of the soldiers and officers of the regiment honored today. This is evidenced by a commemorative inscription carved on a stone: “Descendants to valiant ancestors. From the 55th Podolsk Infantry Regiment”. The monument was moved to the place familiar to today's Bendery people in 1967. Today parade crews of law enforcement agencies of Pridnestrovie marched past the proud Eagle.
The regimental celebration ended in the temple of Alexander Nevsky. The final point of the celebrations was the performance of the Pridnestrovian State Choir.